What sex education looks like in your country?

Tell us where you are from and how did you first learn about sex.

6 Likes

IM FROM Liberia
i learn about sex when my mom explain to me about the good and bad side of sex .it was funny when she was talking about it but I LEARN so much from her

3 Likes

Welcome to our discussion! The Find My Method team is gathering today to talk about sex education around the world. Share your thoughts and ask us anything.

3 Likes

Thank you Joyce for sharing your experience. That’s very interesting that your mom had ‘the talk’ with you. What exactly did she say? :nerd_face: :nerd_face: :nerd_face:

Hi! I’m from México, sex education in my country starts at 10 years old at schools, but the situations with the parents are not always the same, sometimes they give you “the talk” but some other parents don’t :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hi everyone! I’m from Turkey and recently, there are many digital sex experts who works on educational Youtube videos, guidebooks with funny sound recording for young children and also, for young adults. There used to be less educational guideliness to learn about your body and how conception works and infants are born. But now we have more resources. I remember I had a seminar about menstruation when I was in the middle school. Still, particularly public schools are inadequate to offer such services in their institution.

2 Likes

I am from Mexico. I learnt about sex when I was in middle school, around my 12 years old. But I’m surprised by how little the teachers told me!

3 Likes

Hi I’m Mrinalini from India. I learnt about sex from my elder cousins and I was horrified. There is basically no sex education in Indian schools, activists have tried to integrate it into the curriculum but politicians and parents keep blocking it because they think it will ‘corrupt young people and is against our values’.

1 Like

Wow! I wish my parents were open with me about sex.

2 Likes

Yeah, right? I even do not wanna mention about how my family perceive sex in this sense.

2 Likes

Hi, im Afia from Ghana and I formally learned about sex in school… and it was only about abstinence. Nothing else!

I also learned from my mom (and after at school) but I think she was not so explicit with me, like after “the talk” I just had more questions hahaha

2 Likes

What do they teach in the school Varenka?

This is interesting. You can share some resources here. Even if they are in Turkish, we all can learn something.

How do you think sex education can be improved in schools?

Wow lots of resources! I was pretty much self taught, so I would have appreciated alot of this information when I was growing up!

1 Like

Do you remember what did they tell you btw? Would be nice to know?

What I remember, is that in text books we saw anatomy and like all the process of conception internally, but It was just a few years after (in middle school) that they teach about penetration, etc. Also all the information (in my times) was really heterosexual content related.

Learning things from cousins…I can imagine how this must have gone :smiley: What do you think is the way forward for sex education in India?

In Kenya, sex education is something that happens to you if you lucky.
The school teaches very little and you learn the rest from either your progressive parents, peers or advocacy organizations.
There is an ongoing campaign towards the introduction of sex education in schools, but the religious groups are really opposed to it.

2 Likes

Yeah, and it’s so easy the abstinence for teenagers, right? Hahaha obviously not!

1 Like
Copyright © 2020. Find My Method. All rights reserved.